Wreaths illuminated with red bulbs at all 3 fire stations have been provided to remind everyone to practice holiday fire safety. If a holiday-related fire occurs during the holiday season, one of the red light bulbs will be changed to a white light bulb. This will serve as a reminder of the safety precautions that must be observed during the holiday season.
The Romeoville Fire Department urges the citizens of all communities to take time to help “Keep The Wreath Red” from December 1, 2019 through January 2, 2020, and eliminate unwanted fires by providing a fire safe environment at home and work.
Some suggestions to help make this holiday season safer are:
• Unplug holiday lights before leaving home or sleeping
• Do not overload extension cords
• Be careful with candles and open flames
• Use flame-retardant decorations
• Ensure lights are in good condition and Underwriters Laboratories (UL) listed
• Keep natural trees watered; do not rely on chemical sprays to make your tree flame resistant
• Remember to check all smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your home
For more information contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at 815-372-4045. For additional winter safety information visit www.NFPA.org.