Romeoville and Lockport Township Join Together to Offer Community Garden — Registration is Ongoing at Romeoville Recreation Center.
The Cooperative Community Gardens Program is a joint effort between Romeoville Parks & Recreation Department and the Lockport Township Park District. This program was developed to serve both communities at Sunset Park (729 Murphy Drive) which is located in Romeoville, with the garden being maintained by Romeoville and the park being maintained by Lockport Township Park District. Both organizations teamed up to offer plots that residents can grow healthy fruits and vegetables for their families.
Residents of Romeoville and Lockport Township can reserve 10’ by 10’ plots beginning Monday, February 6, for $20 (Non Resident registration begins February 13, and is $40) at the Romeoville Recreation Department. Additionally a $25 cash deposit is required. The growing season is from April 15 until October 28 and each participant will have a key to access their plots. A communal water supply will be available and participants are responsible for providing their own container.
All questions can be directed to the Romeoville Parks & Recreation Department at 815.886.6222.
Garden Plot ReservationsReturning 2/1 - 2/5
Residents 2/6 - 2/12
Non Resident 2/13 - 2/28
Growing Season - 4/15 - 10/28ALL landscape waste, stakes & fencing must be removed by 11/1.
Garden GuidelinesPlots are 10’x10’ and limited to one per household. The Community Garden is open from 8am-8pm daily.
Lockport Township Park District and Village of Romeoville residents can reserve a garden plot for $20. Non Resident fee is $40. A $25 Cash Deposit is also required.
Please visit the Romeoville Recreation Department (900 W. Romeo Road) to register and reserve a plot.
Make sure to bring your own watering cans to the garden; hoses are not allowed. We will provide a water supply to fill your cans.
Please obey all parking areas; do not drive inside the park or on the grass.
Fencing or mesh is not provided by the Romeoville Recreation Department, though you are allowed to divide your plot with it temporarily for the growing season.
No chemicals are allowed to be used in the gardens. Pesticides are prohibited due to the potential of drift/runoff. Over-the-counter fertilizers are allowed and must be used according to the instructions.
Community Garden Regulations, Terms, & Conditions:1. I agree to abide by the policies and practices outlined in this document. The fee for the seasonal use of a garden plot is $20 for a 10’ x 10’ plot. The garden season takes place April 15-October 28. A $25 CASH Deposit will be required for key replacement, in case Garden Guidelines are not followed, or general damage to the garden area. The growing season ends on October 28; therefore, cash deposits can be picked up after November 15. Key must be turned in when picking up deposit.
2. Rental Cancellations must be made by April 8 to receive full refund. Cancellations made between April 9 through April 15 will receive 50% refund. Cancellations made after April 15 will receive no refund.
3. Garden plots are assigned on a first come/first serve basis. Returning gardeners may request previous year’s plot. Plots must be reserved by 2/5.
4. Temporary fencing allowed up to 4 feet in height.
5. I will not expand my plot beyond its measurement or into paths or other plots. I will keep all my plants within the limits of my garden. Garden plot boundary stakes installed by the Romeoville Recreation Department are intended to be permanent. Please do not remove stakes.
6. I will keep my garden plot free of weeds, pests, and disease. Should my garden become neglected, it is understood that I will be notified by the Romeoville Recreation Department. If I am unable to maintain the garden I understand it will be mowed or tilled by the Romeoville Recreation Department and my contract will be revoked. I will make arrangements for weeding in my absence.
7. I will keep my plot, paths, and surrounding areas clean and neat. I will put my plant debris and trash in designated areas. Empty pots and trays must be removed. I will not dispose of household trash or compost at the Community Garden.
8. I will not plant trees or shrubs or any illegal plants.
9. I understand that personal property should not be left on the plot. I understand that the Recreation Department or Village of Romeoville is not responsible for vandalism or theft of my garden plot.
10. I will remove all landscape waste, stakes, and fencing from my plot(s) prior to November 1. If materials are not removed, I will not be able to reserve a spot for the following year.
11. I understand that garden plots are assigned to one person only and are not transferable. Others may garden at my plot with my permission, but I am responsible for payment of fees, cleanup, and following all other rules outlined here. I understand that I am solely responsible for the behavior of my family members and other guests.
12. I understand that fertilizers must be used responsibly so that they do not impact gardens other than my own. Pesticides and herbicides are prohibited.
13. I will not use plastic or other non-porous material for ground cover. Leaves and mulch are acceptable.
14. I will keep my car in the parking lot or on the street. I will not drive on the grass.
15. I will bring buckets or a watering can to transport water from the water tank to my plot. I will ensure that the water tank is turned off after I use it.
16. I will practice good safety habits, including keeping the walkways and paths clear of my tools and other belongings.
17. I will not enter or take food or plants from other gardeners’ plots. I will not take anything from the garden that is not rightfully mine.
18. I will respect other gardeners, and I will not use abusive or profane language, listen to loud or lewd music, physically harass, or discriminate against others.
19. I understand that all other Recreation Department ordinances must be obeyed at all times.
20. Alcohol is prohibited in all Romeoville and Lockport parks.
21. Gardeners must close and latch the gates when entering and lock the gate when leaving. There is a $5.00 replacement gate key cost.
22. Pets are not allowed in the garden area.
23. Tomato cages and other staking is permitted.
24. Non-woody plant material from garden plots may be composted in the bin(s) provided.
25. The Village of Romeoville and the Lockport Township Park District have ultimate control over the garden plots and can access, remove or alter any garden plot at any time for any reason.
If issues arise, participants will be contacted, and a resolution will be mediated by the Romeoville Recreation Department.